Computer Access and Printing
The Library has both free WiFi and computers available for the public to use. Our computers have high speed internet access as well as Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Access, and Publisher.
To use a public computer, enter your library card number into the box provided. If you do not have a library card, please ask for a guest pass to use a computer for free. We also offer a 15-minute express computer for quick usage free of charge.
We also have a scanner available, so that you may scan a document to an email address. We do not have a fax machine for public use.
Wireless Access (WIFI)
Free wireless internet access is available from Armstrong throughout the Municipal Center, including the Library. Most users can simply bring in their wireless-enabled laptop computer and turn it on. Choose the open network Cranberry Township Building to connect.
Your laptop should automatically recognize the wireless network. No special encryption settings, user names or passwords are required. If your laptop does not have a wireless built-in, you can install a WiFi compatible network card. The Library cannot guarantee your equipment will work with the Library's network. Since everyone's computer is different, the staff is not able to help you configure your computer. If you need assistance, you may need to contact the hardware or software manufacturer.
Please be aware that your information is not protected while using wireless, unless you are connected to a web page that employs encryption (stores, banks, etc.) Keep this in mind if you are accessing sensitive business or personal information.
Wireless users agree to abide by the Library's Wireless Policy which prohibits illegal activity while using the Library's internet services.
- Black & White - Printing is $0.10 per page for black and white printing.
- Color - Printing is $0.50 per page for color printing. Please see staff for assistance in color printing, as black and white is the default setting.
- Printing is not available with wireless usage. If you wish to print please save your work to a thumb drive or email files to yourself, then log in to a library workstation and send your print jobs to a printer.
Internet Reference Computers
Each computer has access to Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access. Subscription services available from the computers in the Library include Power Library, Access PA, Heritage Quest, Reference USA and Gale Testing Center.
The Computer Usage Policy covers the use of our public computers.
- You must have a valid library card with the Butler County Federated Library System (BCFLS). If you do not have one, we can issue you a temporary computer usage card free of charge. Please ask at the reference desk for a guest pass.
- The start up screen on the computers will ask for your library bar-code (found on the back of your library card). Check the box on the screen to see the numbers as you type. Type your bar-code without any spaces between numbers.
- To print pages, you must have money on the card to cover the cost of the pages you will be printing. Any amount of money can be added at any time at the Reference Desk. After choosing to print a document, Cybrarian will show you how much is being deducted from your card and how much money is left on the card.
- If you lose your library card and still have money on it, please visit the Reference Desk before applying for a new card. If not, we will not be able to determine the amount of money remaining on your library card.
- Your library card will allow you access to any of the computers in Butler County libraries. However, money added to your card at one library will not be accessible from another library.
- At the end of your session, it is very important that you LOG OUT. We are not responsible for money or time you lose if you forget to log out.
- Computer sessions are limited to 90 minutes. If you need more time, please ask the reference librarian if it is possible to extend your time. If you need to be online uninterrupted for more than 60 minutes, please see staff. We are able to accommodate those patrons who need the computer for test taking, online applications and special projects.
- The use of all computers will conclude 10 minutes prior to the closing of the Library.
- Patrons are not permitted to run their own software or install any software on any computer.
- Patrons may not change settings that impact usage of the computers for others. Leaving the computer in an unusable state is grounds for suspension of privileges.
- Library staff is to provide you with brief orientation to the computers and Cybrarian use; however, due to limited staff time, there may not be a trained computer staff person on duty at all times.
- Patron confidentiality will be protected to the best of our ability. Please remember, though, these are public computers.
- Patrons may save material to a flash drive or compact disc. Any material saved to the desktop will be automatically deleted when the computer is rebooted.
- Patrons are responsible for the material downloaded or uploaded.
- While you may access your electronic mail through a third party system, our computers are not able to receive your mail directly.
- Anyone under the age of 18 is not permitted to access sites which contain or make reference to explicit sexual materials as defined in 18PA C.S. 5903 (relating to obscene and other sexual materials and performances).
- As ruled by the Supreme Court, all of our public access computers have an internet filter which will block material designated for patrons over the age of 18. Filters may be disabled for patrons over 18 by Library Staff. Adult X-rated material is currently NOT ALLOWED due to the fact that we cannot prevent minors from viewing the material on all computer screens.