Home Based Businesses
No Impact Home-Based Businesses in Cranberry Township
Home-Based Business Application
By definition, a business or commercial activity administered or conducted as an accessory use which is clearly secondary to the use as a residential dwelling and which involves no customer, client or patient traffic, whether vehicular or pedestrian, pickup, delivery or removal functions to or from the premises, in excess of those normally associated with residential use.
The business or commercial activity must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be compatible with the residential use of the property and surrounding residential uses.
- Employ no employees other than family members residing in the dwelling.
- No display or sale of retail goods and no stockpiling of inventory of a substantial nature.
- No outside appearance of a business use, including, but not limited to, parking, signs or lights.
- Business activity does not use any equipment or process which creates noise, vibration, glare, fumes, odors or electrical or electronic interference, including interference with radio or television reception, which is detectable in the neighborhood.
- Business activity does not generate any solid waste or sewage discharge, in volume or type, which is not normally associated with residential use in the neighborhood.
- Business is conducted only within the dwelling and cannot occupy more than 25% of the habitable floor area.
- The business may not involve any illegal activity.
Small Business Resources
United States Small Business Administration The U.S. Small Business Association is a federal agency dedicated to assisting small businesses. Log on to find federal, state, and local funding sources, as well as counseling and training information.
Small Business Development Center University of Pittsburgh offers consulting and training, as well as technology tips for small businesses.
Butler County Community Development Corp. (CDC) The Community Development Corporation provides pad-ready construction sites and financial and technical resources to both prospective and current Butler county businesses.
Butler County Chamber of Commerce The Chamber provides leadership to preserve, enhance, and extend the quality of life and economic vitality of businesses in Butler county, while promoting free enterprise and growth. Ph: 724-283-2222. Butler County Chamber of Commerce
Pittsburgh North Regional Chamber The Chamber offers a variety of business and social networking events, programs, training, and legislative and economic development activities. The group serves Northern Pittsburgh/Allegheny County & Cranberry corridors. Ph: 724-776-4949 Pittsburgh North Regional Chamber